Gustave Roussy Institute of Oncology
ESMO Designated Centre of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
|Contact person||Dr. Sarah Dauchy|
39 rue Camille Desmoulins
94805 Villejuif cedex
|Contact||Tel: +33 01 4211 4211 - sdauchy(at)igr(dot)fr|
|Web||Gustave Roussy Institute of Oncology|
The Gustave Roussy cancer center is one of the ten world leaders in the fight against cancer. Founded in 1926 by Professor Gustave Roussy, the institute distinguished itself from the very beginning by its wholly integrated approach to research, care and teaching.
- 2630 total staff
- 356 beds
- 1 Consultation area with 8 different sections
- 1 biology and pathology department
- 1 operating area with 14 operating rooms
- 24 beds medico-surgical intensive care unit
- Radiotherapy department
- 11 beds and 14 chairs in day-care for Phase I clinical trials
- Ambulatory clinic (89 beds/chairs in day-care)
- 13 research units gathering 35 research teams affiliated with CNRS, INSERN or Paris-Sud University
- 360 on-going therapeutic trials
- Teaching hospital in collaboration with the Paris-Sud University
Research and treatment of all types of cancer.
Palliative and supportive care
The institute created an interdisciplinary department of Supportive Care (DISSPO).
Supportive care facilities include:
- Pain unit
- Palliative care team
- Psycho-Oncology unit
- Social workers
The Pain and Palliative care team is always made up of:
• 9 full-time physicians
• 6 nurses
• 1 social worker
• 2 psychologists
The institute provides 24x7 support either at home or in the palliative care unit.
Volunteers play an important part in the department.