ESMO 2017: Submit Your Abstract!
Call for revolutionary research!
ESMO 2017 will be a magnet for revolutionary cancer research, and the knowledge presented will directly impact daily clinical practice.
ESMO 2017 offers numerous presentation opportunities for your study and submission is free. Presenting at ESMO is a guarantee that important studies will reach a global audience, give your work the recognition it deserves, and ensure improvements in cancer patient care.
Still need convincing? Take a look at the results of ESMO 2016 in Copenhagen.
If you have an ESMO profile, please use your ESMO username and password to access the abstract submission system.
Abstract submission deadlines
|Deadline||Date and time|
Intent to submit LBA
Trial in Progress
|10 May 2017, 21:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)|
|Final Late-breaking abstracts (LBA)||Final submission deadline 19 July 2017, 21:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)|
Late-breaking abstracts (LBA)
Late-breaking abstracts may be submitted for high quality, new research findings with implications for clinical practice or understanding of disease processes.
Only abstracts for which no conclusive data are available at the time of the abstract submission deadline of 10 May 2017 will be considered for late-breaking status.
A skeleton indicating the type of data that will be available by the late-breaking abstract deadline must be submitted online by the regular abstract deadline.
Submitters of preliminary versions receiving approval to proceed must submit the final LBA by 19 July 2017, 21:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)
The final late-breaking abstract deadline of 19 July 2017 is under no circumstances to be considered as an extension of the general submission deadline.
Trial in progress abstracts (TiP)
Trial in Progress abstracts in all phases of clinical research (phases I to III) may be submitted to ESMO 2017.
It is expected that abstracts submitted as Trial in Progress are ongoing trials that have not reached any protocol-specified endpoints for analysis and consequently will only require the completion of two (2) sections: Background and Trial design. Abstracts including results or preliminary data will be rejected.
Recruitment must have already begun or have been completed by the abstract submission deadline of 10 May 2017.
Encore TiP abstracts will NOT be accepted.
Trial in Progress abstracts will not be considered for Proffered Paper (oral) presentation.
Abstract submission categories
|ESMO 2017 abstract categories|
|Breast cancer, early stage||Breast cancer, locally advanced|
|Breast cancer, metastatic||CNS tumours|
|Developmental therapeutics||Endocrine tumours|
|Gastrointestinal tumours, colorectal||Gastrointestinal tumours, non-colorectal|
|Genitourinary tumours, prostate||Genitourinary tumours, non-prostate|
|Gynaecological cancers||Haematological malignancies|
|Head and neck cancer, excluding thyroid||Health economics|
|Immunotherapy of cancer||Melanoma and other skin tumours|
|Neuroendocrine tumours||New diagnostic tools|
|NSCLC, early stage||NSCLC, locally advanced|
|NSCLC, metastatic||Palliative care|
|Prevention and screening||Psycho-oncology|
|Thoracic malignancies, other||Translational research|
|Tumour biology and pathology||Thyroid cancer|
Presentation and publication of accepted abstracts
The Madrid 2017 Scientific Committee will select abstracts for presentation during the Congress based on the following possibilities:
- Presidential Symposium – Oral presentations by authors of the very best abstracts containing cutting-edge and significant clinical practice-changing studies, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Proffered Paper – Oral presentations by authors presenting original data of superior quality, followed by expert discussion and perspectives.
- Poster Discussion – Presentation and analysis by an invited speaker highlighting important findings within a disease type or about a common theme plus interactive audience discussion.
- Poster – Display sessions for review, discussion and questions. Rotated by category, posters will be displayed for one day of the Congress and the presenting authors must be available for Q&A for one hour to represent their work.
All accepted abstracts will be published in the Madrid 2017 Abstract Book.
A restricted number of travel grants to the Congress are available, upon application, to first author (= presenter) of candidates under the age of 40 who submit abstracts considered deserving of recognition. Selection will be made by the Madrid 2017 Scientific Committee on a competitive basis from among the accepted abstracts.
To apply for a travel grant, the following documents must be received by the ESMO Congress Department on or before 10 May 2017:
- A letter of introduction by the applicant. Please include the following general information:
- How relevant are the topics presented during this Congress to your current practice and research?
- Have you attended any event on a similar topic in the last three years?
- How do you believe your attendance at this Congress will help you improve your knowledge in the field and your professional development?
- How do you consider that the findings published in your abstract make a relevant contribution to the topics presented during this Congress?
- Have you recently been awarded an ESMO travel grant? If yes, for which event?
- A copy of the submitted abstract (the applicant must be the first author and presenter)
- A readable photocopy of either identity card or passport
- A short curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
Documentation must be sent by E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or, if strictly necessary, by fax to +41 91 973 1918.
The Congress organisers will provide the recipients with a subsidised travel ticket, subsidised accommodation and Congress registration.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.